I was challenged by my dear friend @_nashieta_ and Fair Cape Dairies to share a ration friendly family meal - and I just had to share one of our favourite desserts!
- 300 g Flour
- 2.5 ml Bicarbonate soda
- 4 Large eggs separated
- 2 tbsp Castor sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 50 g Melted butter
- 5 ml Vanilla essence
- 600 ml Fair Cape low fat milk
- Heat your waffle maker according to manufacturer's instructions. Whisk the egg whites to stiff peaks.
- In a separate large bowl, mix together the flour, bicarbonate, caster sugar and a pinch of salt. Make a well in the centre and add the egg yolks and melted butter. Start mixing with a balloon whisk; keep whisking as you slowly add the milk until you get a smooth, thick batter. Carefully fold in the egg whites with a metal spoon.
- In the meantime, heat your oven to 180C/160C fan.
- Use a ladle to pour the batter into your waffle maker and cook according to the manufacturer's instructions.
- Repeat until all the batter has been used up, placing your finished waffles onto a baking tray as you go.
- Once all the waffles are made, transfer to the oven for 5 mins to warm through and crisp.
- Serve with sweet or savoury toppings - we sprinkled with icing sugar, and added strawberries and syrup.
Thank you again to @_nashieta_ for challenging me and to Fair Cape Dairies for the lovely goodies. Recipe by: Raising K Squared www.raisingksquared.com @raising.k.squared